104 days. What is this you ask? It is the time I was without a washer and dryer. It might not sound like much, especially for two people who don’t amass dirty clothes like the Duggar family (19 Kids and Counting), but I’ll tell you… I’m so excited to have our new w/d today! The first load is purring and sud-sing this very moment! Ahh…
Let’s take a little trip back down memory lane.
The far corner of the (laundry/pantry) room had brand new linoleum rolled over a completely rotten subfloor. Nice touch unnamed financial institution who owned the house.
Underneath that, the floor joists were rotten and sitting in dirt.
The “supporting” walls of the house were splintered, rotten fragments that would have had more purpose as kindling for s’mores than holding up the side of our house.
Next up… a handful of shelves along the wall for our pantry items and the room will be complete!
p.s. 752. That’s how many quarters I went through at the laundromat.
Months ago we researched different climbing vines and discovered that hops, as in beer hops, makes for a pretty vine. Because of its deciduous nature, we planted it with our old decorative trellis which looks good with vines in the spring/summer/fall and will still look good bare when the vine has to be cut back for winter.
The rhizome was purchased online and arrived in an envelope with some instructions. It basically looks like a stick and there was some doubt it would actually do anything or if it was even alive still.
Here is March 15:
And then April 15 and May 15. It’s growing good!
So the big question for Mike is… when do we get to make beer?
Love, love, love! I will say, in all of its spacious glory, it is a very large wall of doors so I’ve been pondering the idea of some sort of stenciled art motif just so it’s not so stark. We shall see.
Just as I promised, we painted the back of the house first so we could enjoy a little slice of pretty while enjoying the warm evenings. You have to start somewhere, right? The garage and remaining house will be following soon. Yay!
The house was in deplorable shape before we moved in. The back right corner was so rotten that we still don’t know how it was standing. It was missing siding, the huge floor joists were sitting in dirt and completely rotten and the walls had nothing left. I’m surprised a family of racoons didn’t just walk in and make it their home. A lot of sweat, cursing and work went into getting this section of the house back to acceptable. The corner of the house had to be jacked up, Mike scooted on his back into a 10″ space, and there was a lot of pacing by me while wood groaned and the guys (Mike and Quetz) worked to get everything in place. I’m grateful it’s done.
We originally had hopes to shuffle the original redwood siding from the hidden north wall and use it to redo the missing corner section, but it was all too far gone so Mike did a nice board and batten accent instead which I love!
Some side notes:
There was a vent pipe in front of the laundry room windows (which cranks out mind you). Because pipes in front of windows is always attractive. 😉
Because the house was so off-kilter the old back door would not shut and lock so Mike ran a large screw through the door/jamb, so to gain access in the morning, he’d remove the screw to open and the add it back in to lock it up for the evening. We were keeping it classy. The new Dutch door is dreamy! (and no screws needed)